Friday, February 5, 2010

Monster Cookies!

Recently, I have challenged myself to find various recipes / formulas that are good for all eaters. This is a very difficult task. So many children and now adults are finding out that they have food allergies and intolerances. Not so many years ago it was rare to know someone allergic to a food. Now, almost everyone that I know has a food allergy / intolerance. I am challenged daily in my menu planning for my son who is allergic to peanuts and dairy products. I have been able to adjust recipes / formulas to suit our needs and fulfill my need to not make two meals at every meal.
This formula suits several folks. It can be dairy, peanut, and gluten (except oatmeal) free. That is a lot to ask of a cookie. In addition, it needs to be whole grain and taste good. WOW!

1 cup butter, softened (substitue shortening or gardener's blend)
1 cup sugar, granulated
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsps baking soda
1 1/2 cups peanut butter (substitute sunflower or soy butter)
4 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
2 cups chocolate chips (peanut / dairy free)
2 cups candy coated chocolates (omit for peanut concerns)

1. Cream the butter and both sugars together.
2. Add 1 egg at a time, incorporate fully before adding the next.
3. Add vanilla, baking soda, and peanut butter
4. Add oats. Mix to incorporate
5. Add chocolate chips and candy coated chocolates
6. Scoop onto cookie sheet and bake @ 350*F for 10-12 minutes.
7. Let cool. Store in an air tight container.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment