Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Pancakes

My children absolutely love pancakes. I have tried tons of recipes for pancakes on my children. Each time they love them... so, why do I keep trying different recipes? Well, because I have been looking for one that meets the following criteria.... 1. Versatile - I can substitute rice / soy milk for cow's milk; substitute whole wheat flour for the all purpose 2. low in fat 3. low in sugar

I was really thinking that the children would not like the pancakes that I made for dinner tonight. The recipe that follows is one that I have been working with for a while. These cakes will not necessarily be the traditional fluffy cakes you may be used to having. You could refer to these cakes as a heavier crepe. Check out the recipe!

Flour 1 cup
Salt pinch
Egg 1
Milk 3/4 to 1 cup

Combine the dry ingredients. combine 1 egg with 3/4 cup of milk. Add to the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly, but do not overmix. Allow batter to rest for 30 minutes. If batter is to thick add additional milk.
This is a very simple cake, with a simple flavor. The versatility is not just limited to substituting different milks and flours, but also that you can use various fruit purees as part of the liquid. Try substituting with puree bananas or applesauce. I have also added a 1/2 tsp of vanilla.

A lot of pancake recipes call for melted butter or oil and sugar. I served these cakes along with real maple syrup and turkey bacon and lots of fresh fruit. This is a recipe that clearly shows that children will eat foods that are low in fats / sugars if they taste good. If you wanted to sweeten these cakes up a bit you could fill them with sliced fresh strawberries, whip cream and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. It is great to have children that will for the most part try everything that I make, it is also extremely easier to get them to try new things if they helped to prepare it. I am so incredibly thankful for my children!
I made a double batch and got about 23 cakes (4" wide). I always make extra cakes to put in the refrigerator to enjoy the next day. If storing longer consider placing wax paper in between each cake put in a ziploc freezer bag.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment