This formula is from my grandmother's file! This is probably my favorite item that she makes!
Vegetable Shortening 1 cup
Sugar 2 cups
Cake Flour 3 cups
Eggs 4 each
Buttermilk 1 cup
Baking Powder 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda 1/2 tsp
Extract (Vanilla/Almond) 1 tsp
1. Cream shortening and sugar together
2. Sift all dry ingredients together
3. Add eggs and flavoring to sugar mixture
4. Add dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk
5. Prepare 2 loaf pans with butter and flour. Pour batter into pans.
6. Bake at 350*F up to an hour. Check after 30 minutes.
Variation: For a marbled pound cake Add 2 tbsp baking cocoa and 2 tbsp sugar to 1 cup of batter. Swirl into cake batter to create a marbled effect.