Monday, December 5, 2011
Hot Chocolate Back to basics!
Hot chocolate is timeless! Folks young and old enjoy a cup of hot chocolate. I have never been a fan of the powdered mixes.
Well no more mixes...I found some inspiration!
Hot Chocolate Meltaway Squares
Adapted from Tokyo Terrace
Yield 24-30 servings
2 cups Bittersweet Chocolate
2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 peppermint candy canes (or flavoring of your choice - plain is great to)
1. In the top of a double boiler, melt chocolates together.
2. Once melted add the cocoa powder. Mix until fully incorporated.
3. Allow chocolate to cool slightly before putting in molds.
4. Portion chocolate into molds. Fill mold half way. Add a small amount of the crushed candy canes, fill with chocolate.
5. Allow to set - Set in refrigerator for 5 minutes.
Similar to the featured blogs above you can also place sticks in the chocolate which would give you something to stir the chocolate into the warmed milk. I tried this...but I found I like just the square of chocolate to drop in my pot with the milk.
Directions to prepare! The best part!
Using a small saucepan, heat 8 ozs of milk, once heated add 1 hot chocolate square. Using a whisk incorporate the chocolate into the milk. If needed, keep pan on a vary low heat. Add whipped cream and enjoy!
Posted by Chef Jenn